Tuesday, May 8, 2012

From mess to magic

I have recently developed a habit of stopping at thrift stores at every chance I get. By doing this, I have snagged some amazing finds for the home that my husband and I bought last September. Come to think of it, other than our main furniture and TV, just about everything in our house is second hand! Not only does this save a lot of money, but sometimes trash really can be an amazing treasure (more on my other treasures later).

 I saw a picture years ago on the internet of a collage made of empty picture frames (below) and I knew that I needed to recreate the same thing.


In our first apartment in the Virginia Highlands neighborhood of Atlanta, I started a small version from frames I got at a yard sale:

 When we moved to our townhouse, I just had to recreate the collage but in a slightly different way. I painted all of the frames 3 different colors (a cream, brown and taupe) to bring them all together since the frames were all WAY too different:

Since we bought our house in September of 2011, I've been collecting a few more frames but also some old cross stitches. I knew I wanted to make a collage in my entry way, but I needed the perfect table to go underneath it. I found an old metal table that used to have glass tops on both levels that were replaced with some dilapidated boards... for only $40! Perfect! I've been home sick for two days and started feeling better this evening so I seized the opportunity to knock this project out. Here is my finished product and I couldn't be happier about it!!


A page from an old dictionary



Love the old boards!


Feeling so accomplished right now! If you are wondering where my sewing posts have gone, I promise more things are coming from Tailored by Torrey... Spring has been ridiculously packed and I'm looking forward to things settling down in a few weeks so I can knock out some amazing projects!


No comments:

Post a Comment