Thursday, September 19, 2013

Local is as local does

You may remember that I hosted a Handmades Sale at my house back in the spring. I met some people in my neighborhood for the first time and overall considered it a success. A few people took my card but I didn't get any overwhelming responses after that. This summer, I was away on a business trip and returned to find that a neighbor had stuck a note in my mailbox saying that she had items she wanted me to work with. I won't go into how my husband had found the note a few days before that and failed to use a modern device that we know as a telephone to let me know about this potential opportunity... bless him. 

 I immediately called and we discussed that she was moving out of the country soon and had some old linens that were hand embroidered by her grandmother. She didn't have use or space for them overseas and she was going to take them to Goodwill...but then she thought of me! Heavens to Betsy the thought of those beautiful pieces getting tossed into a back corner at Goodwill gives me palpitations. Grab the smellin' salts and lets revive those old girls! 


She brought over a stack of old linens and we discussed options. I told her my recommendations and ideas and we ran with it! A few weeks later, we ended up with:
Custom earbud holder

Back of the earbud holder
Eyelet clutch with linen interior



Top piece and pocket are from one of the antique pieces



Top pieces, waistband and pockets are vintage pieces and the fabric came to me as a gift from a friend who went to the garment district in NYC (this one was her favorite). 


Two pockets, one regular and one is meant for cell phones.
Saved the best for last! I appliqued a cutout on the bodice and then used half of a table runner to create a pocket section. Definitely my favorite of all of them!




She had a beautiful idea for the 3 aprons. She has 3 sons and (like any mother would) hopes they will marry one day. Her plan was to keep one of the aprons for herself, and then give the other 2 to her future daughters-in-law. How sweet is that?

I loved coming up with these and turning pieces that would have been lost and forgotten into new family heirlooms that will be used for years to come.

Have something you want me to transform for you? Lets talk!

No comments:

Post a Comment